I like share my life and experiences with my friends and thought this would be a great way to do it. My photo's, videos and story's

Friday, January 15, 2010

Pere Cheney

Mary and I found the old Ghost Town of Pere Cheney easily and searching for the cache was fun but it was far more interesting to see the old cellar holes and explore the old townsite. There is little left other than these shallow pits to show that there was anything ever there. I got this from the Geocache site.




Town History: In 1873 Michigan Central Railroad completed the railway system between Gaylord and Jackson. About that time George Cheney got a land grant form the railway company to establish a stop on the railroad for gas, freight, water and passengers. It was prior know as Center Plains Township. Cheney built a sawmill, and later Cheney House, a Hotel to acomadate the number of fast rising settlers, lumbermen and tourist in the area. On December 1st, 1874 Pere Cheney received a post office. By 1877 the town had 2 sawmills, a general store, a wagon maker, 2 carpenters, a doctor, a hotel telegraph service, and daily mail. Lumber was the only product ever shiped from Pere Cheney. The cemetary was established on about 5 acres, in 1878, located south east from the town. By 1896 the population had droped from around 1500 people to around 55, 25 people in 1901, and 18 people in 1917. The post office was closed in 1912, and the land was sold off at a public auction on May 7th, 1917. The only reamaing families were farmers of the outter lying area of the town. Diptheria was spread through the town twice in its short life, once in 1893, and again in 1897. It took several lives, many from the same family at the saem time. The Barber family lost 3 children in less than 3 weeks over Christmas of the 1893 sickness. Many families moved out of the town into neighboring towns of Roscommon and Grayling, or further. There were several fires in Pere Cheney due to the sparks from the mills that were located behind and to the south the cemetary. There was no water supply near Pere Cheney, so the towns people had to use water wagons and shovel dirt to put out these fires. Sometimes they were not successful and had to let the fires burn out themselves. Most of what you will read says that townspeople from neighboring towns tried to burn the town down to stop the spread of disease, I have found nothing to credit that. Although some of the buildings burnt down due to a mill fire after the town had been deserted.

-------------------------------------------

I knew there was an old cemetary there and Mary and I decided to explore it a bit. I find it interesting to look at the old markers and it is sad how many of them are for infants.

This is a fairly large cemetary with few gravestones. It upsets me as many have been stolen or broken by vandals over the years and for the life of me I can not understand why.

There were many graves in this cemetary as I could see by the hollows, which are caused by the coffins rotting away and caving it.

A few of them are still tended as we could tell by the flowers on them. Plastic flowers but someone cared. There were four quarters laying on one gravestone. Why someone left them I don't know.

The last one I looked at was one with Barber etched on it. Barber? I got a chill. I took a couple picture of it from outside of the cemetary and looked it up as soon as I got back home here. I knew I had read something about Barbers. It was the family that lost three children that one terrible Christmas so long ago.

Someone is still tending the Barber grave. I found it very moving.....

No comments:

Post a Comment